Dreampunk is the search to build a better world in the ruins of the old. To build a world of equality, liberty and community that reaches for wonder, invention, and a more balanced relationship with ourselves, one another, and with the wild world around us.
We are currently seeking submissions for a ‘Dreampunk!’ magazine for release in the late summer or early autumn 2013. The ‘zine will be a collection of fiction, how-tos, essays, artwork and poetry that aspires towards inspiration, sustainability and co-operation.
Some ideas for possible contributions include:
- Recycling, upcycling, re-use and repair;
- Recipes and sewing patterns;
- Fiction, especially speculative/genre fiction;
- Laments and battle cries;
- Maker culture and vernacular technology;
- Skipping (dumpster diving) and squatting;
- Mythology, alchemy, and the exploration of self;
- Psychogeography, urban exploration and sense of place;
- The sublime, the mountaintops and stars;
- Modern, practical herbalism;
- Short hints and tips;
- Ritual and shamanism.
We accept submissions from everybody, and judge each work on its own merits. However, we are particularly interested in hearing the voices of people of colour, women, those who are gay, queer, transgender and genderfluid, the elderly, poor or homeless, dominant and submissive, disabled, and people who are managing mental illness.
The deadline is 1st June, and we are looking primarily for submissions up to 5,000 words. We will likely not be able to pay our contributors, but will offer contributor copies where we can to those who help us make it happen.
Artwork should be pure black on white images due to printing restrictions. Woodcut images or engravings are ideal.
For further information, or to submit to the ‘zine, read the Drempunk Manifesto, or email vagrants[at]amongruins[dot]org.